Tuesday, April 30, 2013

The River City & TEDxJacksonville

Jacksonville is a wonderful place to live. The River City offers wonderful beaches, state parks, art and history museums, local theatre, and is home to an organization I have the greatest pleasure of working for, TEDxJacksonville. 

This venture started a few months ago after I assisted in the simulcast of TEDxWomen, an incredibly inspirational event where individuals, the best in their field, met and discussed todays problems and its beauties. 


I am now graduated from college and have more time to devote to TEDxJacksonville- a program of local, self-organized events which brings people together to share "Ideas Worth Spreading." This extra time has provided me with the opportunity to reflect and review past TED Talks which has proven beneficial for me.


Through listening to TED Talks (either on TED.com, YouTube, or Netflix) I have learned to love myself for what I am and approach everything about myself differently. Instead of feeling shame when I make mistakes, I own them and learn from them. I no longer fear myself but try to see the potential for creativity. 

Dong Woo Jang's TED Talk educated me on self-awareness and provided me the confidence to immerse myself in what I love (reading/writing). Dong Woo Jang is a young man under the pressure of a strict education system and to cope with his anxiety he relieves his stress through a creative outlet- making bows from bamboo sticks. This young man discussed the importance of art and the role it plays in your emotional health. For more information on this individual click here. 

In addition to the sharing of ideas, I was sparked to join TEDxJacksonville because of the River City itself. I have loved Jacksonville for all of her beauties. However, I was always aware of an element which was missing- community. Jacksonville is a large city with great diversity. This size and diversity created sections of the city, blockading any sense of oneness. No one is more pleased to say that I feel these barriers slowly breaking down. 

TEDxJacksonville does more than host and plan events, it creates daily dialogue and inspiration.

As a part of TEDxJacksonville, I am surrounded by people who are passionate, creative, and kind.


TEDxJacksonville is a small organization of volunteers with big hopes and I cannot wait to witness the success of this initiative. 




No matter your passion, it must be pursued.


Follow TEDxJacksonville on your social streams
and View our website

No comments:

Post a Comment